Sunday, September 04, 2005

That's It

A post I wrote for Corrente this morning after watching Meet The Press. It's starting to get legs elsewhere, and I wanted it in my archives:


I'm done for awhile. I can't stand it.

UPDATE: So I lied. Make me the president. On Meet the Press just now Jefferson Parish President imagesAaron Broussard broke down and cried, cried so hard I cried with him, as he described the repeated promises made, day after day through the whole week, to an old lady in a nursing home begging for help, who finally drowned on Friday because no one came. FEMA had told them everyday that help would arive, and everyday it did not. He told about how, early in the week, FEMA turned back water sent by WalMart, diesel fuel brought by the Coast Guard, and shut off their emergency communications lines, which the sheriff had to repair and then place armed guards near to stop further shut offs.

(I guess lying isn't the sole qualification to be president anymore. Now it has to be mass murder. Or is it genocide-by-ommission?)

UPDATE 2: Think Progress has the pix and transcript of the interview with Broussard here, and Crooks and Liars has the video. I defy you to watch this and not weep. Here's part of the transcript:
"I want to give you one last story and I’ll shut up and let you tell me whatever you want to tell me. The guy who runs this building I’m in, Emergency Management, he’s responsible for everything. Broussard His mother was trapped in St. Bernard nursing home and every day she called him and said, “Are you coming, son? Is somebody coming?” and he said, “Yeah, Mama, somebody’s coming to get you.” Somebody’s coming to get you on Tuesday. Somebody’s coming to get you on Wednesday. Somebody’s coming to get you on Thursday. Somebody’s coming to get you on Friday… and she drowned Friday night. She drowned Friday night! [Sobbing] Nobody’s coming to get us. Nobody’s coming to get us. The Secretary has promised. Everybody’s promised. They’ve had press conferences. I’m sick of the press conferences. For god’s sakes, just shut up and send us somebody."
God damn George Bush. God damn him to hell.

No comments: