Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Cease Fire

So I come back from my little vacation and get slapped in the face by Sandra Day O'Connor's resignation.

Then I hear how France's Chirac insults the food, and by extrapolation as would only make sense to a Frenchman, the honor of the entire British Isles, just prior to embarking on the latest G8 summit. Sure to be a success, that.

And Bush is indulging in more likely-to-be-empty promises of aid (page 5) to Africa, this time to try to eradicate malaria. Guess what? Bill Gates has already been on the case.

When I get my head out of my work, I'm sure I'll find plenty of other gems to bring me back to reality. But this is the only regret I have about leaving the civilized world behind: that I missed one last chance to see Pink Floyd as they were when they were at their best:

Pink Floyd Live 8

If Waters and Gilmour can put down the weapons long enough to play for a good cause, surely there's a light at the end of this long national nightmare.

No comments: