Friday, February 25, 2005

Caitlin Flanagan Is A Pain In My Ass

If you have sensitivities to mild disagreements, turn aside your head and cover those tender earbuds.

Because as much as I respect Eric Alterman and enjoy his site and writing, when it comes to women's issues I think he's a twit, and a twit who doesn't even try to understand what it must be like to be another sex (I refer specifically to his post today on the never-ending Susan Estrich saga).

He does get behind women who toe the male-perspective line, as evidenced by his affinity for Caitlin Flanagan, a blowhard overfed, overpaid little snot who can hold forth on the hypocrisies of her own class regarding, say, immigrant surrogate mothers, while at the same time displaying the most astonishing self-entitlement regarding what she ought to be able to expect from the world in the way of childcare from those same immigrants.

I don't understand it.

But I can throw things at it.

No comments: